Tuesday 31 August 2010

La la Laaaaa!

I mentioned in a post earlier on that I'm playing my guitar and singing more in public these days. (See 'a side order of self-confidence' post.) One of the things that I've been doing for this is having some singing lessons. I'm doing this for a number of reasons, although my voice isn't bad - I want it to be stronger, especially on the high notes! 

This has been fun; partially because my singing teacher Sarah is a very good friend of mine.  Also, because she encourages me to use my comedy opera voice sometimes (You know the one, it's the one you use when you're trying to get your kids to open their mouths whilst you brush their teeth! - or is that just me...) 

Sarah's encouraged me to find some songs that I really like, that I think will challenge me vocally.  It's been great trawling through the CD collection and finding some really great songs.  My sister Sharon has already introduced me to Joni Mitchell who has an awesome collection of interesting songs (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTVjCWekS1Q&feature=related,) and then there's Tracy Chapman and Nina Simone.  I'm also remembering bits of my childhood, where Carole King was required listening...  If I can master even half of these - I'll be pretty darn good.

I know it's difficult to pin it down - but I was wondering - what is your favourite song ever?  If you like, you can narrow it down to 'favourite song ever - for singing purposes'...

I'm not sure I can answer this question for me, but for the kids (thanks again to Aunty Sharon, and the power of Singstar) it would probably be 'I believe in a thing called love' by The Darkness, or possibly 'Song 2' by Blur.  They really are too cool for school...

2 comments:

  1. Gotta be Mozart......Laudate Dominum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my favourite song of all time (that would be Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty) but a brilliant song for singing is 'Oh Carol' by Neil Sedaka (no I am only 38...honest)! xx
    Claire BB

    ReplyDelete