Tuesday 17 August 2010

Wobbly Tooth

Sometimes the smallest things can be the most profound...

My son Joel is five, and he has recently discovered his first wobbly tooth.  To him, this is exciting; a chance to ponder tooth fairies and what he might do with the coin that might appear under his pillow.

I was surprised to find that this small piece of news made me feel a bit emotional.  After all, I expected this to happen reasonably soon - Joel got his teeth early, so I'd always thought he'd lose them on the early side too. 

The thing that got me was the fact that it's a whole new developmental stage.  It's like a line in the sand, or any other transition I suppose.  My son is not a baby anymore.  Actually - anyone who knows him, knows that he hasn't been a baby for a long time.  Maybe it's just that it feels like the end of something.  Time has passed, and it's weird to think that your children are only small for such a short time, particularly as when you're in the middle of it, the small child phase feels never-ending because it is so all consuming.

Also, I think, it's time to celebrate.  I've nurtured Joel for six years (if you count the nine months I carried him!) and he's growing up well and doing everything he should be.  It's good to step back occasionally, and realise that time is running by.  Carpe Diem everyone; seize the day.

1 comment:

  1. Carpe diem indeed! Very odd seeing pictures of toddlers I used to care for getting married - but then, that other Joel seems to have turned out pretty well too xx

    ReplyDelete