Wednesday 1 September 2010

The mobile phone saga

I'm not a technophobe, but I'm not a techie either...

Over the Bank Holiday weekend, my mobile phone was playing up.  Some of it's functions were working fine - but it was stubbornly refusing to receive any text messages.  This was a bit of a nightmare, as I tend to organise my (& the boys') social life via texts...

I tried getting people to reply to texts I sent - but this didn't work.

After talking to my husband (who is several degrees up the techie scale from me) I tried deleting some messages to make sure there was space to receive things.  Deleting messages one by one from the inbox takes an unbelievable amount of time, and I couldn't just delete the lot as I needed some of them.  I barely scratched the surface of my inbox if I'm honest.

I then hit upon the master plan of deleting my Sent Items.  I even worked out how to delete them all by only pressing a couple of buttons...  (I know - I'm a genius!) My phone - bless it - then proceeded to delete them, one by one, all by itself, all 2648 of them.  This, as you can imagine, took a few more ages...

After all this space saving, my phone still didn't want to play.  I was mentally bemoaning how everything seems to break when you haven't got the money to replace it.  I was working out where to purchase a new hand set...

And then, super husband (he really is a genius...) remembered the golden rule of all electrical equipment, the first commandment of anything with batteries, the mantra of anything technological:







If it doesn't work - switch it off - then switch it on again.

I am happy to say that the phone is now healed of all it's ills. Fourteen text messages then staggered into my inbox having been running round the ether, and I''ve saved a few quid.

I'll remember what to do next time! :)

2 comments:

  1. ha ha - love it -reminds me of a scene from "The IT Crowd" ("have you tried turning it off and then on again??")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous :-D

    Wish that would work with my Geriatric handset. I think at 61/2 years old it is finally past it. Really need to phone o2 and get a new one sorted before it actually dies a death.

    Helen P

    ReplyDelete