Monday 28 February 2011

"I feel pretty..."

Don't ask me why I'm wandering around singing songs from 'West Side Story'...  Heaven only knows.  I am (completely unreasonably) blaming my friend Sarah - who I recently went to see perform spectacularly in a local production of Iolanthe (no - not even close to West Side Story - I know)...  Just seems to have made me remember every musical theatre production I have ever been in, or even seen...

Still, any excuse for a good sing...

Today I am extra pleased having bought a couple of items of new clothes from the local fashion house (Sainsbury's), that not only fit, but were in the sale, and look nice.  Marvellous. 

Brilliant timing too actually, as I have recently killed yet another pair of jeans...  I don't know what it is about me and jeans - but generally speaking - the relationship never lasts long, and they always end up dead!  Ah well, just as well my relationship with jeans has no correlation with my relationship with people... 

Anyway, moving on...

Last week when it was raining (again), and we were stuck in the house (again) I decided to calculate my BMI.  BMI (or Body Mass Index) is a guide which uses your weight and your height to calculate whether you are a healthy weight - or not.  There are other ways to do this, and it's by no means a cast iron rule, but it gives you an idea.

I guess writing about my Dad losing weight in my last post made me think about it.  Since having my children I've lost a little bit of the weight I gained through having them, but not all of it...  I guess that's not unfamiliar territory to a lot of mothers.  In my experience, looking after small children is very tiring - but not actually very good exercise...  It seems a bit unfair really.

So anyway, my BMI actually worked out at 26.2, which really isn't bad at all considering the healthy range for BMI is 20-25.  It made me think; actually my perception of my figure and how I look is probably not very accurate.  I think (or thought) of myself as an overweight person, when really - I'm a 'slightly-less-fit- than-I-could-be' person...

So - what to do...  Hmmm...  Time for some action points I think:
  1. Stop worrying about it - the more I worry about this sort of thing, the more I want to eat cake anyway... 
  2. Try to keep up the exercise - I find this is good for the mental health as much as anything, but I'm sure it would help with the toning up a bit too.  So God, if you could stop the rain - and make it nice and sunny - I'll do some more cycling...
  3. Try to dress with a bit more thought...  After all, the kids are big enough to not cover everything I wear in snot now...  I know there are things I wear that look nice, and things that make me look like a slob.  It's not rocket science...  That said, we all need to slob sometimes; everything in moderation!
  4. Pray.  After all, God promises He can renew my mind (see Romans 12), and I'm sure most of my issues with my body are actually in my head.
Oh, and maybe a bit more singing:

"See that pretty girl in that mirror there!...."

6 comments:

  1. Fab action points. I totally agree with you about worrying making us want to eat cake! Cake and coffee for me... Interestingly, I've never thought about praying when my body is getting me down but it totally makes sense that He would care for the whole person and so we should let Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gill, I've never thought of you as overweight. It is funny how our perception of ourselves is often is massively different from the way other people see us.

    But on the subject of jeans... well I can totally agree. Even with no children to crawl after I still manage to wear mine out far too quickly. They just don't make them like they used to...
    Rach
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gillian

    You are so right about everything here.
    You are no-where near overweight (take it from one who is!!!)
    Exercise is fabulous for keeping the mental health and the body weight in check as well. It's a shame that exercise isn't the first line treatment in the UK for depressive illness - it would probably do much more for most patients than silly tablets.
    Again - speaking from experience.

    As for the singing - keep it up, you have a fabbo voice and anything to make us hear it more is great too.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't singing burn off calories as well... not sure it helps with the toning up... but the thought is there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, you are great as you are!

    Going back to your last entry I have to say that I am still stunned (following your visit here with Joel and Nathan last week) to realise that Dad has lost the equivalent of an entire Nathan in weight! That just brings home the scale of his achievement so much better than the abstract idea of kilos or stones and pounds. I would encourage any dieters reading this to think of their weight loss in terms of someone solid (if you've lost enough and know a suitable small person) or otherwise a sack of potatoes or bags of sugar!

    Having now seen "The biggest Loser" final I also have to say that the contestants' makeovers paid a large part in how much better they all looked although their weight loss was amazing.

    Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are gorgeous in every way, and I am glad you are starting to believe the rest of us!! However it is sooooooooooo interesting to reflect on how we see ourselves versus how others see us - I can recommend looking at photos of you taken in all kinds of scenarios as you will suddenly get glimpses of how you do look as opposed to what your brain tells you your eyes see in the mirror!! I have two ultimate versions of this - the "mole mapping" - in pants only, harsh lighting HORRENDOUS but then the photos of me in Iolanthe (thanks for your support btw) - even in the Mah-hoooo-sive frock. They are SOOOO different. I'm glad I know about both of them, and I know that how I look to others is a lot less about what I know is in the mole-map "no secrets" picture but also it isn't the total over the top in costume with stage makeup version! Food for thought. You are ace.

    ReplyDelete