Wednesday 22 September 2010

Just keep swimming...

September is my husband Paul's busiest time at work.  He works at a university - and so the start of the academic year is insanely busy for multiple reasons.  It takes a lot of his time, and even more of his mental and emotional energy, so we're not seeing very much of him at the moment - and the bits we are seeing are the tired and slightly grumpy bits!

The same thing happens every year - so it's not like it's taken me by surprise.  However, every September, I gain a renewed admiration for anyone parenting alone for any reason.  How anyone manages to be a single parent, and still be able to formulate coherent sentences is beyond me - I take my hat off to you.

I'm trying to pace myself with all the jobs that need doing.  Gaining wisdom from the fountain of life that is 'Finding Nemo'.  When life is tough - I think we sometimes need reminding that all we have to do is just keep going.  Just keep swimming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA

It gives me hope that Jesus understood this feeling of general exhaustion.  In Matthew 11:28 it says:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  That's a promise I need to remember today.

We don't have to battle on alone.  God never promised that life would be easy, but He did promise to be with us every step of the way.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, my husband works shifts and when he's working days he's usually out for about 12 hours so I quite often do getting up, all day and bedtimes. When he's working nights he's around during the day but I'll do bedtime and getting up so he can sleep a bit. I think overall I'm better off than people whose partners do normal hours, but when he works a lot I do feel a bit like a single parent and it can be exhausting. It's the tedium of all-day babycare combined with constant vigilance and no breaks that wears me out. However, I'm back at work three days a week in a couple of weeks so I'll soon see which I prefer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the voice of Jesus say
    Come unto me and rest.
    Lay down oh weary one lay down
    they head upon my breast
    I came to Jesus as I was,
    Weary and worn and sad.
    I found in him a resting place
    And He has made me glad.

    If you know me and you don't know this hymn tune I will sing it to you - been with me since Sunday night xx

    ReplyDelete