Thursday 30 December 2010

That was the year that was...

So here we are at the end of another year.  I'm sure I'm not the only person looking back over the last twelve months, and wondering quite where they went.  Somewhere between school runs, house work, bed time routines and cups of tea I would guess...

This time last year I had just completed my last shift (at least for the time being) as a midwife.  It's odd to me that 2010 has passed by without me actually delivering a baby.  That said, I've actually had quite a lot of opportunities to use my midwifery knowledge over the past year...  I've palpated at least four pregnant abdomens, done a fair amount of breastfeeding support, given a couple of informal antenatal classes and answered a gazillion pregnancy and baby related questions.  If I'd have charged, I could have earned at least 20 pence!

What I haven't had to do is juggle childcare, fill in a timesheet, or try to organise time off when I need it (otherwise known as organising the off duty...  It's called that because people are always more concerned with when they're 'off' than when they're 'on'!)...  I haven't had to complete any mandatory (or any other sort of) training; one of these is called K2 - it's named after a mountain for a reason!  I haven't had to run for any buzzers, answer any irate phone calls, deal with any unreasonable visitors or chase any blood results.  Although I miss some of my wonderful ex-colleagues, I know the world of maternity still rumbles along quite happily without me, and to be honest, I can't see me rushing back anytime soon.

Of course I've done some other things over the last twelve months other than my informal midwife-ing.  So here, in no particular order are some of the highlights of my so-called life (insert drum-roll here!):
  1. I have been part of a new congregation on the housing estate where I live.  This have given lots of opportunities for doing new / slightly comfort zone stretching activities such as playing the guitar and singing in front of lots of people, helping with a children's holiday club, and organising a nativity in about 30 minutes (click here for more details on that one...)
  2. I have learnt to enjoy cycling
  3. I have had some singing lessons.  All good fun, and notwithstanding the fact that I obviously still have much to learn on the singing front, I have discovered that I really needed boldness lessons more than anything else
  4. I have been mummy to two of the funniest, most handsome, cleverest boys in Warwickshire - or maybe the whole world (no bias here obviously...) With them I have laughed, cried, danced, sung, jumped, sledged, swum, eaten (the chocolate log is all gone now - sorry), slept, prayed, cycled, wrestled, argued, cuddled, watched TV and sat in the car.  Is it any wonder I can't fit in a paid job?!
  5. I have written a blog which people have actually read - I know amazing but true.  I didn't realise until I started writing this list how so much of what I have done this year has been covered by the blog... 
  6. I have seen an angel
  7. I have written the odd poem / song
  8. I have built a snow rabbit

  9. I have continued to celebrate small victories...  I'm fighting the urge to add another link...  Oh okay, but this is the last one... (have a look here if you're not truly bored by now...)
What were the best bits of your year?  I'd love to know, and you have put up with me rambling about my 2010... 
 
Here's hoping 2011 is full of more laughter, inspiration, joy, peace, music, achievements, friends, blogging, encouragement and all things good.  Gxx


2 comments:

  1. You forgot consoling teething baby, so frazzled mum cld sit down for 5 and drink coffee! Thanks for that. I won't forget it in a hurry! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    looks like you've had a great year. I just want to say how you are so down to earth with your guitar and everything it's great when people are just themselves and it's all about God!! I hope God blesses you and that you continue to reach people in the new congregation
    God bless x

    ReplyDelete