Thursday 10 March 2011

Whirly-gig Wonders

Today I faced the age-old dilemma faced by Mums (Dads / Grans etc... other carers are available...) everywhere.  Do I hang the washing out or not?

I know.  Earth shattering stuff.

The sky was part blue, part white and part grey...  It wasn't warm, but it wasn't freezing either.  I wasn't convinced that it would stay rain-free, but it was so windy outside, I had to give it a try.  It was what they call Up North, 'a good drying day'...

However, once I got the washing, pegs and rotary washing line (aka Whirly-gig) out, I realised - this was going to be no easy task...

The wind was so strong.  Unbelieveably strong.  More 'top-of-mountain' strong than 'random-suberb' strong...  As soon as I got one thing on the line, the thing spun round and round again...  I must have looked like a crazy woman; trying to hold onto the line, the pegs, and bending down to find the next sock - all at the same time.

I know that in Matthew Jesus commanded the wind and it calmed down - but I can tell you - it didn't work for me today.  Apparently God was more concerned with saving people's lives in the New Testament than He was in helping me hang out my washing...  Fair enough I guess.  I did feel like I'd done a few rounds with Mike Tyson though by the time I'd finished.  Not my most glamorous day.

I did benefit from the wind though.  After a couple of hours, the sky looked threatening - so I thought I'd take the washing in - and it was already dry.  Marvellous.  I am in fact the Queen of Laundry...

Do I get a crown with that?

1 comment:

  1. We just use clothes airers in our attics. Or, in emergencies, a tumble drier. But we have a communal right of way along the back of our garden so I'm a little nervous about leaving washing out there.

    ReplyDelete