Sunday 9 January 2011

Hitting the target

The boys and I have been watching darts this weekend.  This equals a lot of shouting, (at the same time as jumping from Nathan - no surprises there then...) mental maths (I still can't believe that's what they call it at school... Hey kids - it's not just maths - it's craaaaazy maths!) 180s and lots of questions:

"Mummy, what's treble 18 plus double 13?"

"Mummy, why is that man walking funny?" - a reference to the strange phenomenon of the 'walk in'.  I told Joel it was 'just for fun', although he was watching Darryl Fitton at the time, and I'm not sure he was convinced...

"Mummy, why are they wearing so many gold rings?"  To which I answered honestly that I had no idea...  Surely weighing down your dart throwing hand like that is not advantageous...  If I'd had more time to think about it I would have quipped about it having something to do with the 12 days of Christmas... Something like 'well they've already got the five gold rings - the french hens will be a long in a minute'.  I know, it's probably best that we don't have the time to spend ages thinking up comedy responses to our childrens' questions. 

It also gave me the chance to spend time asking them some questions too...

"Nathan, who do you want to win?"
"That man" (pointing at Martin Adams)
"Why him Nathan?"
"He's got a beard."

Of course.

If I was feeling more philosophical I could get a whole load more deep and meaningful thoughts out of darts.  After all - when they throw a wildly off target dart, they don't go off in a sulk and give up - they just go back again and throw the next one.  I'd link it in to the idea of perseverance, and not just giving up the moment they made one mistake (like munching on the chocolate when the healthy eating had been going so well...  Ho hum).  Time to keep calm and carry on.

Well done Martin Adams.  You won again.  And probably not just because of your beard!

1 comment: