Tuesday 23 November 2010

How do you solve a problem like Strictly X Factor Idol? Get me out of here...

I guess it won't be a surprise to any of you, that our family choose Strictly Come Dancing as our reality (really? I guess it's not like any reality I've ever seen...) TV show of choice.  We even - thanks to my parents - have some special Strictly scoring cards that get waved aloft each week.  The boys like scoring everything at the moment actually.  I get marks out of ten for the dinners I cook, and for my guitar playing and singing at church on Sunday; one week recently Joel gave me 9.3...  I know, the .3 made all the difference!

Joel is struggling to decide who his favourite Strictly couple are, as there is often someone different at the top of the leader board, and he wants his favourite to be the best all the time.  He has decided that once someone gets the magic 40 points - they'll be his favourite for ever...  I know; the pressure's on for the couples now - who wouldn't give anything for that lofty achievement??

Personally, I've also been sneakily watching a bit of X factor once the kids are in bed.  I know, I know - it's really quite bad - but it's good telly for ironing to...  Especially when the brain is too tired for anything less vacuous (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...).  I, like a lot of people, can't really comprehend the attraction of Wagner.  I can't believe anyone would actually spend even a few pence to vote for someone who is obviously such a terrible singer.  Each week, I hope that common sense will prevail, and each week I am disappointed; however, the same is happening on Strictly too with Anne Widdecombe and Anton...  That said - I think Anton deserves all the votes they get for sheer perseverance, and for dogged cheerfulness.

I have less sympathy for X factor, who should have understood the public's desire to get one over Simon Cowell after last year's Jedward fiasco...  Wagner might win - just because of how much the public want to feel in charge.  And actually, if Simon and his cronies had really cared about it being a true talent contest, Wagner would never have made it past the first audition.  Mr Cowell, you only have yourself to blame.

Oh well, at least I haven't succumbed to watching the jungle yet...

1 comment:

  1. i love how we judge ourselves by the 'reality' telly we watch!
    i confess i did watch the jungle and x factor last year but that was ok, as i too could class them as 'ironing' or knitting telly and i also retained some level of class by watching strictly and i knew i'd never stoop as low as to watch BB. of course, famous last words, and this year i followed the whole darn final series. grr. i think it's melted my telly brain too, as i couldn't get into strictly this winter, so what will become of me now, i have no idea!

    ReplyDelete