Monday 29 November 2010

The Generation Game

I've just got back from a weekend break with my family in Centerparcs.  Overall, we had a lovely time: we even had a chance to play in the snow, although we've come back pretty tired actually - what with all the swimming, walking, fresh air etc.

There were six of us in our merry band of adventurers:  Me, Paul, Joel, Nathan, and Paul's parent's (aka Chris and Jenifer / Mum and Dad / Grandma and Grandpa - it's a wonder that they ever know their own names actually, given that they have so many options...)

It's nice going away on holiday with extra adults; especially if those adults are fond of your children.  We've been away previously (yes, Centerparcs again - I know, very cliched) with Becca, my friend from school who is also Nathan's Godmother, and with my parents too.  It is good having some other people to play with the children; and to spend some adult time with too.  If you play your cards right - you can even end up with some free babysitting.  Marvellous.

There is something a bit stressful about mixing up the generations though; it seems to muddle up the roles some how.  When I'm with my children, I know what my job is.   I am Mummy; source of food, cuddles, medicine (only when clinically indicated obviously...), stories etc. etc.  When I am with my in-laws, I am daughter-in-law; who will listen to stories regaled at great length, laugh (OK, not cringe too much) at pun related jokes, and generally try to formulate coherent sentences.

These roles are sometimes hard to complete at the same time; for example - trying to listen to a story about an incident from a recent holiday, whilst smallest boy announces in a loud voice that he needs a wee.

Thinking about how to juggle the roles I have was one of the main motivations behind starting blogging in the first place.  It's why I'm called 'MummyLadyMe'.  I'm know I'm not the first woman to feel this way.  I've just realised that in this post I haven't even really mentioned trying to fulfill my 'lady' role (although Paul and I did make use of some free babysitting this weekend - Hoorah!), or just trying to be me.  Crumbs.  There's so much to do!

I guess all you can do is prioritise the role that seems most important at the time, and trust that everyone involved loves you enough to forgive you if they don't always rank at number one on the priority list.  I am so thankful to have relatives who I know feel that way about me.

1 comment:

  1. very pertinent today - my singing teacher talked to me about the self-expression required and how basically singing can be a way to access the "me" that was in there before the kids and is still in there now!! Maybe all we can ever do is be the "me" that is in there the best we can and allow our "me" to fulfil the needs of family etc as they arise!

    ReplyDelete